02 February 2008

My stupid, stupid heart (poem)

Carrying on the theme from my last poem ...

My stupid, stupid heart
Haven't you learnt by now?

Half a century of pain and battering and scars
and still you turn me into a teenager?

You won't listen to logic
- she's too young
- you WORK with her, for God's sake
- you already love another
What's wrong with you?

Logic.
YOU won't listen to logic?
Who's logic?
Mine?
Yours?
Theirs?

Mayhap that's the truth of it
- the logic's their's
- they're the one's who say
who and when and how you can love
they,
with their stupid, stupid rules
that love must fit
before it's permitted.

They,
with their scarred, scared minds,
clinging to the comfortably small,
They're the ones who do the biggest scars of all
on MY intemperate heart.

She's not a logical choice;
I have fights to fight before we can be
(if she'll have me - we've not even talked on this
and she goes away soon);
But the fight of the rules of the small
Is one fight I can do without.

My poor, poor heart,
Keep falling in love for ever!

© Kayleen White, 2008

No comments: