03 November 2009

The Driven

We are
the driven.
Since some
long lost ancestor,
curious,
in search of
food, perhaps,
came down from a tree,
and some other
long lost ancestor,
curious,
stood up,
we have quested,
we have explored,
we have sought
new boundaries,
and that
which lays
beyond them.

My people
in some long lost
past, were
blood thirsty
warriors
- pirates,
Vikings,
wanderers of the sea,
curious,
questing,
seeking through water.

Others
have quested
more wholesomely
- through barriers of mind,
or mystery,
and have sought the magic
of science or
philosophy,
or mysticism
- of what lies
beyond the known.

All have brought home
some reward:
a new world,
a new evolution,
loot and booty
won at the loss
of others,
or
a gain
to knowledge,
science
and medicine,
reward to all
of humanity.

Me,
my quest
is far more humble;
I seek what lies
beyond this bend,
beyond the next road,
what my metal steed
can bring me to,
through
heat, and tiresomeness,
the answer
to my next
curiousity.

And now …
what lies
on that next page?

© Kayleen White, October, 2009

I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)