03 November 2009

Escape

This is from a holiday, a weekend away in the Grampians/Gariwerd.

Freedom
Escape
Release

I am away
out …
out
of the city
in a place
I can breathe

I feel …
as a weight
is gone.
I feel
the relief …
as after congestion,
asthma,
contagion.

No minds
no presences
no people
closing in,
closing me,
pushing,
pushing,
pulling, and
twisting me
- clutching
at me.

Here …
'tis hot;
but birds
call
and sing
and flit,
roos
doubled over
edge forward
from tasty
morsel to
next tasty
blade of grass,
- peacocks e'en,
- and stars!
Oh Goddess
the stars!

So dull
so gone
in city's lights,
here …
so near
so present,
as am I.

Free,
and present
in my freedom.

© Kayleen White, October, 2009

I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)