25 December 2012

Devolution: an Ode to Chaos

'tis said by some
those past great lights
in Egypt, Sumer and India
were leavenings to raise
humanity's mass
and, whether
from Earth or Sky,
we've cheated
and copied
and lazied
our way back
to slothful echo
of past illumes.

Is it so?

We're better fed
than any time
since we gave up the plains
for agriculture and a city life
- better fed
with food,
with teaching,
with pollution,
with stress.

Are we lesser,
we who are now shorter,
or are we simply as
we have created
us?

© Kayleen White, 2012 I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)