27 January 2013

Old Soldiers, Old Glories



Old soldiers are wont
‘tis said,
to spend time
reflecting on past “glories”
- perhaps
in attempt
to make sense
of inutterable horrors;
so do others
- and old
civil rights campaigner,
mayhap cursed
by relevance deprivation,
and empty nesters
seeking reward
for long grinding tears
of pain
and trial
and misery
and heart-break
- leavened,
from time to time,
by moments of love
on either side,
and now,
 as the loan from the future
is repaid with
independent, capable
adult-hood,
sought to be regained
- or, sad to say,
used
as bargaining tool


Copyright © Kayleen White, 2013 I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)