21 March 2015

[Content Warning] To sacrifice a part



The child’s appalled
 - doubly so,
trebly,
if she discovers
she is seen to be
still a minor
in anyone’s eyes
- e’en the law’s.

She’s offended that
an animal,
an innocent,
has been trapped,
and twice and more
the horror,
that it chewed
its own limb off,
to flee.

The child’s appalled
- all noise,
and bluster
and waving limbs,
but she has no clue,
she’s fed
and watered
and clothed
at other’s expense
- great expense;
she knows not,
but I do.

Between teeth of triple fronted
brick veneer,
sprung with that
soul destroying torture
of the 9 to 5 grind,
the hinge this inner city
maze,
I know;
I know what it’s like
to want freedom,
escape,
so desperately,
you’ll gladly sacrifice
a limb,
or soul,
or maybe
even
a heart.

Given the desire
it’s not so hard:
I’ve already done so,
out of love,
to come here,
be here,
and do so much
for so many
- including
for the waving limbed one,
but now,
now the horror’s all mine
and what I’ve become
a snarling, savage shadow,
here,
cut off
from all that
the trapped animal
holds dear.
 


Copyright © Kayleen White, 2013 I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)